Portrait of the company Karl Kaps GmbH & Co. KG An Eye for Detail Founded on April 1st, 1946, and headquartered in Asslar near Wetzlar, Karl Kaps GmbH & Co. KG is specialised in the development and manufacture of modern surgical and diagnostic microscopes. The high-end products are used all over the world in ENT, ophthalmology, microsurgery, endodontics and gynaecology. The company has also made a name for itself as a manufacturer of high-quality rifle scopes for hunting and sports, which are even used by Olympic medallists. From cine projectors to surgical microscopes
The success story of Karl Kaps GmbH & Co. KG began with making parts for cine projectors. After the monetary reform in 1948 the company added school and laboratory microscopes to its product portfolio, which were joined by rifle scopes in 1955. Close ties to the photo industry encouraged the company to produce laboratory equipment for film and photo processing from 1960 onwards. As a reaction to the declining figures in the photo industry, Karl Kaps GmbH turned to microsurgery in the 1970s, introducing the first prototype of a surgical microscope in 1979. Today, the company is one of the world’s four market leaders in the ENT, dental and gynaecology segments. Development with the customer Throughout its almost 70-year history, the company has always put the customer in the focus of its corporate activities.
New products are invariably developed in close cooperation with users and made with state-of-the-art computerized machinery. The aim of Karl Kaps GmbH & Co. KG is to develop microscopes and rifle scopes that fully satisfy the optical, magnification, illumination and ergonomic needs of its customers. The company attaches great importance to offering a hundred-per-cent German-made products – from development to production and assembly. Today, Karl Kaps GmbH is in the third generation of family ownership and currently has 40 employees on the payroll. Its products are exported to more than 80 countries.