In the question of radiation protection education for all medical professionals in Europe, CIRSE has assumed a pioneering role. Under the guidance of the ESR, CIRSE is involved in the EC-funded MEDRAPET project which has two main goals:
- Assess the current standard of radiation protection training for medical professionals in Europe, and
- Update the European radiation protection guidelines.
To give the project scope and relevance in Europe CIRSE, which is represented in the steering committee, has teamed up with several other medical societies that represent professions that deal with ionising radiation in medicine. These include:
- EANM (European Association of Nuclear Medicine)
- EFRS (European Federation of Radiographer Societies)
- EFOMP (European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics)
- ESTRO (European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology)
- ESR (European Society of Radiology)
On April 21 – 23, 2012 the European Workshop on Education and Training in Medical Radiation Protection will be held in Athens, Greece. The workshop aims to facilitate the discussion on issues related to radiation protection education and training of medical professionals in the EU member states.
In the course of the workshop the results of a survey on European training in medical radiation protection will be presented and discussed. The workshop will certainly yield an inspired discussion on the current situation in Europe and is free to attend. If you have any questions about the workshop or the project as a whole please don’t hesitate to contact Robert Bauer ([email protected]).
Further information can be found on www.cirse.org