The checklist has just 6 parts, half to strengthen the team from the inside, the other half to strengthen the team from the outside.
Strengthen the Clinical Team from the inside - the ABC
- Assemble the team
- Assign responsibilities
- Assess (personnel and equipment are present or easily accessible)
- Be proactive
- Close the loop (confirm that instructions are heard, understood, and done)
- Call-outs (alert the team to dangers and encourage collective vigilance)
- Captain Co-lead (both pre-emptively appointed in case mini-teams are assembled for complex cases, e.g. intubation team, central line team. Captains are usually a doctor, co-leaders are usually a nurse.
See Also: Study: Intensive Care Quick Reference Checklist Manual
Strengthen the Clinical Team from the Outside - the DEFsThe wider team enhances patient safety, according to the writers.
- Debrief & Defuse (Immediate debriefing can defuse team tension, and should include compliments for what went well as well as recommendations)
- Education & Evaluation (encourage perpetual improvement and evaluation, identify education gaps)
- Follow up & Feedback
They conclude: “We believe that ‘safety is no accident’: it requires deliberate preparation, familiar structure, open communication, and collective action. Every team member should benefit, especially the patient.“