- For resuscitation, one should use gelatin solutions, especially albumin; HETAStarch should be avoided.
- The mean arterial pressure target should be 65 mmHg in patients with ALF and ACLF as this results in adequate perfusion of body organs.
- An arterial catheter should be placed to monitor blood pressure as it allows for quick decisions on treatment. Further, a clinical assessment of haemodynamics should be done with a pulmonary catheter or a central line.
- If there is a need to use a vasopressor, the first choice should be epinephrine. It may be combined with low dose vasopressin.
- Thromboelastography is recommended over the measurement of INR, platelets, and fibrinogen as it allows real-time functional evaluation of the liver.
- If the haemoglobin is less than 7g/dl, transfusion should be considered.
- To prevent DVT and pulmonary emboli, LMWH should be used.
- For ventilated patients, a low tidal volume strategy is recommended. At the same time, high PEEP should be avoided in patients with ALF.
- Patients with hepatic hydrothorax should have tube thoracostomy when TIPS is not an option. Patients with hepatorenal syndrome may benefit from the use of vasopressors.
- The serum blood glucose should be maintained between 110-180 mg/dl and in patients with septic shock, a stress dose of glucocorticoid is recommended, especially if the patient is found to have adrenal insufficiency.
- Patients with ALF or ACLF should not be fed a low-protein diet but instead one should set targeted protein goals. Enteral nutrition is recommended over parenteral nutrition.
Management of Adult Acute and Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure in the ICU
Published on : Tue, 3 Mar 2020
The iLA membrane ventilator is an extrapulmonary ventilation system which is used to remove carbon dioxide. The heart pumps blood through the iLA membrane ventilator as it does through a natural organ. The iLA membrane ventilator “breathes” outside...
Intended to facilitate endotracheal intubation in patients where the visualisation of the glottis is inadequate. Features and benefits The blunt, angled tip can be passed blindly into the trachea when visualisation of the glottis is inadequate...
The VITROS ® 3600 Immunodiagnostics System has been designed to help you effectively deliver a broad portfolio of high value immunoassay results. The VITROS ® 3600 System also offers Intelligent Sample Management, with the ability to prioritize...
Features The launch of BeneFusion pump series represents a milestone for Mindray as it moves into the high-end infusion pump market. BeneFusion pumps deliver the answer to user requirements in terms of safety, accuracy and intuitive use. The sophisticated...
StatSensor Xpress Creatinine is not available in the U.S. or Canada The StatSensor Creatinine Hospital Meter System is a handheld analyzer and miniaturized, single-use biosensor for whole blood creatinine testing. StatSensor Creatinine incorporates...