- For resuscitation, one should use gelatin solutions, especially albumin; HETAStarch should be avoided.
- The mean arterial pressure target should be 65 mmHg in patients with ALF and ACLF as this results in adequate perfusion of body organs.
- An arterial catheter should be placed to monitor blood pressure as it allows for quick decisions on treatment. Further, a clinical assessment of haemodynamics should be done with a pulmonary catheter or a central line.
- If there is a need to use a vasopressor, the first choice should be epinephrine. It may be combined with low dose vasopressin.
- Thromboelastography is recommended over the measurement of INR, platelets, and fibrinogen as it allows real-time functional evaluation of the liver.
- If the haemoglobin is less than 7g/dl, transfusion should be considered.
- To prevent DVT and pulmonary emboli, LMWH should be used.
- For ventilated patients, a low tidal volume strategy is recommended. At the same time, high PEEP should be avoided in patients with ALF.
- Patients with hepatic hydrothorax should have tube thoracostomy when TIPS is not an option. Patients with hepatorenal syndrome may benefit from the use of vasopressors.
- The serum blood glucose should be maintained between 110-180 mg/dl and in patients with septic shock, a stress dose of glucocorticoid is recommended, especially if the patient is found to have adrenal insufficiency.
- Patients with ALF or ACLF should not be fed a low-protein diet but instead one should set targeted protein goals. Enteral nutrition is recommended over parenteral nutrition.
Management of Adult Acute and Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure in the ICU
Published on : Tue, 3 Mar 2020
Single Lumen Dual Port Nasogastric Feeding and Drainage Tube Designed for the ICU Compat Dualport is designed to help simplify gastric drainage and administration of nutrition, fluids and medications by the use of one single tube for both operations....
Intended to establish emergency airway access when endotracheal intubation cannot be performed. Features and benefits Supplied in a slip-peel pouch for easy transportation. The dilators are preinserted into the airway catheters for...
Safe - Integrated pressure sensors (IPS) elevate your patients’ safety to the next level. Simple - Priming of the preconfigured kit requires just one person. Fast - Pump-driven priming in only two minutes. Elementary features:...
Intended to assist in the placement of an endotracheal tube during difficult or emergency airway access procedures where visualisation of the vocal cords is not possible secondary to secretions, blood and/or anatomic anomalies. Features and...
Features SV 300 is a state-of-the-art ventilator that’s simple to configure, easy to operate and versatile in use. It equips with extensive ventilation modes that can treats pediatric and adult patients with all acuity levels at ICUs and Intermediate...