This is what affidea stands for*
There is nothing more important than health.
That’s why people need health professionals who know what they’re doing and, perhaps more importantly, who care about what they do.
Patients trust and rely on their doctors.
Doctors trust and rely on us.
We cannot betray this.
Technology is doing more for health today than it has ever done before.
And technology will do even more for health tomorrow.
We strive to provide the best technology - today and tomorrow.
We seek the best medical professionals. We develop them.
And we establish the highest standards and procedures to ensure that we use technology safely, effectively and efficiently.
We exchange best practice through our extensive global network and affiliations.
We want to be the best at what we do.
We care about how patients feel.
That’s why we make every visit as comfortable as we can.
Patients deserve to know what we do, how we do it, and, most importantly why we do it.
We share our knowledge.
We are passionate about health.
And compassionate towards people.
Because nothing is more important than health.
*Our name, affidea, reflects the core values with which we work: affinity with doctors and patients, trust and fidelity in everything we do, and constant progress through new ideas and innovation.
Diagnostics - Cancer Treatment - Laboratories
Providing accurate health information before, during and after treatment allows for the prevention of illness or for the most effective therapeutic intervention. Fast technological developments require large continuous investments by the healthcare authorities. Lack of sufficient budgets opens the possibility for private investments in public healthcare. Affidea's diagnostic arm, Affidea Diagnostics, has developed dozens of multimodality imaging diagnostic centers, in some cases together with Nuclear Medicine units, located mostly within public sector hospitals. As a result, patients receive efficient service almost around the clock.
Most diagnostic centers are tightly integrated within a hospital, forming a unique working bond with public sector clinical teams. Centers are fitted with the most sophisticated equipment, which is fully supported and regularly upgraded by Affidea. The ultra-modern and comfortable work environments mean that Affidea can attract the most committed medical staff, ensuring the best public service at all times.
The diagnostics centers perform more than three million radiological high-end investigations annually.Systems investment
Centers are equipped with the latest radiological modality equipment. A center can include all, or part, of the following medical equipment, as well as other modalities according to the local customer needs:The power of insight
There are huge advantages to developing multi-diagnostic medical centres over the traditional hospital radiological departments:
• They decrease the need for hospitalisation, which is expensive and inconvenient.
• They house the most up-to-date equipment and carry out the most advanced procedures available.
• Treatments are reasonably priced, as the centers are highly efficient and maximise usage of resources.
• They can provide group handling and therefore be most cost-efficient for insurance companies.
• They can provide results directly to the patient and in-house consultant, without competing with the referring physician.
• They provide an independent source for a „second opinion.”
• They are easily accessible with more convenient hours.
• They offer faster service and results.
• They are open to the general public.
• They offer an unhindered service to all physicians.
• They provide professional consultations.
In our world today, people are living much longer and this fact brings with it new diseases and problems. At the same time, we have experienced dramatic technological advancements and improvements in cardiac and cancer detection and treatment equipment. Affidea prides itself as being on the front line of investing in state-of-the-art technologies and high-end solutions for the health care market.
With nearly two decades of experience in Europe’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) operating environment, Affidea has begun a new line of specialized medical service for cancer treatment. The first center, located in Poland, began operations in the fall of 2008. Given the significant shortage of modern cancer treatment centers in many European countries, the company made a strategic decision to enter this very specialized line of service. The company has plans to expand this line of service in other European countries.
Affidea’s cancer treatment professionals use the most advanced technologies to target precise tumor sites, making treatment as effective as possible while protecting healthy tissue. The company’s medical experts work together to provide multimodality therapy, meaning they treat the patient with the ideal combination of therapies (combining radiotherapy with surgery, chemotherapy, brachytherapy, hormone therapy or a mixture of the four). In Affidea cancer treatment centers, patients receive therapy as outpatients in Affidea centers rather than being hospitalized, unless, of course, their health condition requires hospitalization. The facilities are co-located within existing oncology hospitals, all in order to make the process of treatment for patients easier. Facilities are equipped with both simulation and treatment machines from the most eminent equipment manufacturers, all integrated into oncology information and treatment planning system. Patients receive individualized treatment with full attention from staff members who encourage them to pursue their family, work and leisure activities as normally as possible during the course of treatment.
One of the most critical elements in diagnosing a potential health risk begins with laboratory testing. In an extension of its thriving Radiological Diagnostics line of service, Affidea Labs became operational in the fall of 2007.
Structured around numerous collection points and strategically-located primary laboratories, Affidea Labs serves its patients with accuracy, safety and promptness. On staff are medical professionals including physicians, biochemists, biomedical professionals, technicians, nurses and engineers. Many of Affidea Lab medical professionals hold doctorate and post doctorate degrees from highly recognized universities.
The company’s market segmentation allows for the focus to be on the patients, offering them an excellent level of service and a comfortable and relaxing physical environment. In addition, the company offers its patients several options of access to their test results, which can be picked up at the unit, retrieved through the internet, sent by electronic fax or delivered to a specified address (e.g. doctor’s office).
Clinical Analysis Tests are divided into routine and specialized tests, which require special equipment and specific training.
Routine clinical tests include all measurements in basic analyzes of metabolism and vital functions of the body organs, including but not limited to:
• Hematology tests, such as blood counts and coagulation tests.
• Chemical tests, such as glucose levels, lipidemic profiles, iron status and cholesterol levels.
• Endocrinology tests, such as thyroid function tests and sex hormone levels.
• Immunology tests, such as tests for infectious and autoimmune diseases.
• Microbiology tests, such as cultures in body fluid and sensitivity tests to antibiotics.
• Cytology tests, such as PAP tests to cervical smears.
• Urine microscopic and chemical analysis.
• Tumor markers for diagnosis and monitoring specific cancer such as PSA for prostrate cancer, CA153 for breast and CA 19-9 for colon cancer.
Specialized tests are less common clinical tests used in the diagnosis of specific diseases. They require special scientific equipment and highly-skilled personnel. These include, among others:
• Special endocrinological and immunological tests.
• Special allergy tests.
• Molecular biology tests used for the detection of inherited and infectious diseases.
• Specialized tests in oncology, developed for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
• Toxicological tests for poisonous chemicals and controlled substance drugs.
Use of state-of-the-art technology, a solid infrastructure and reliability are the cornerstones of Affidea Labs. The company takes pride in presenting itself as a socially responsible organization that is committed to the heath and well being of its community, concerned with the environment and a strong ally of the medical community.
At any Affidea medical centre, patient safety is a primary concern. Many procedures are in place to protect patients’ wellbeing and secure the best possible medical outcome. Below are some of the key steps Affidea has taken to provide organisational safety standards throughout all of its centres and to each and every one of its patients.
CT and Dose at Affidea
CT is a diagnostic imaging technique that utilises X-ray radiation to produce detailed images of internal structures of the body. The levels of radiation dose required to produce diagnostic images depend on various factors such as the age and BMI of the patient, but also the region of the body being imaged. Examination protocols must therefore be defined by a select group of experts.
What we do to protect our patients
Affidea has launched a company-wide Dose Excellence Campaign to make its CT scans as safe as possible.
The Dose Excellence Campaign
Affidea is committed to minimising radiation dose levels, however, a certain amount of radiation dose is required to provide the detailed images needed for diagnosis. We therefore follow the ALARA Principle (As Low As Reasonably Achievable) when it comes to radiation dose. This is achieved by:
- - Using world class medical equipment, which undergoes regular maintenance checks and upgrades in accordance with strict company standards
- - Subjecting our equipment to rigorous quality controls carried out by medical specialists
- - Tracking patients’ dose and checking cumulative dose to provide insightful, actionable information to adjust dose settings
- - Training staff in optimising the CT protocol parameters to deliver the lowest radiation dose to the patient without compromising image quality.
We care for you more than you know
For Affidea patient safety is a priority, therefore we are rolling out our Dose Excellence Campaign to every CT centre in our network. A Dose Excellence site incorporates: 1) Increasing radiation dose awareness,
so that everyone at the site is committed to our dose optimisation policy.2) A dedicated dose team
to review recorded dose data, optimise protocols and develop best practices. The team includes a radiologist, a senior technologist, a medical physicist and a clinical application specialist.3) Transparency:
answering your questions and communicating on dose and on our practices.
The human factor in providing healthcare services
Patient friendly environment
The role of digital healthcare