MEDRAPET (Medical Radiation Protection Education & Training) is the name of a new project that aims to provide radiation protection education in Europe under tender ENER/10/ NUCL/SI2581148. The consortium partners are:
- ESR (European Society of Radiology)
- EFoMP (European Federation of organisations for Medical Physicists)
- EFRS (European Federation of Radiographer Societies)
- ESTRo (European European Society for Therapeutic Radiology and oncology)
- EANM (European Association of Nuclear Medicine)
- CIRSE (Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe)
The 27 monthcontract, for was signed with the European Commission in Luxembourg on Februar y 4. Attendees at the meeting included Augustin Janssens, European Commission, Head of Radiation Protection Unit; Remigiusz Baranczyk, European Commission, Radiation Protection Unit; Stefan Mundigl, European Commission, Radiation Protection Unit, and John Damilakis, ESR amongst others.
The project will focus on three main tasks:
- Working package 1: The conduction of an EU-wide study on radiation protection training of medical professionals in the EU Member States;
- Working package 2: The organisation of a European workshop on radiation protection training of medical professionals in the EU Member States, and
- Working package 3: The development of a European Guidance document on radiation protection training of medical professionals.
As a result of the European Guidance, the creation of a permanent multidisciplinary working party to draft and maintain European standard sets of competences at various levels for minimum radiation protection training and CPD required for all different groups of medical staff working with ionising radiation shall be envisaged.
The EFRS is leading working package 1. All EFRS member organisations will receive detailed information and will be involved in this project. An advisory group of EFRS radiographer experts is established to support the EFRS delegates in the three working groups. on February 5 the first meeting of working package 1 took place to plan the activities of this group until early 2012 and to discuss the outlines of the huge survey that will be run in the autumn of 2011 among all EU and EFTA countries, as well as those countries that are on the waiting list to join the EU.