The United States Welding Works Company began as a partnership in 1924 by Charles Lofgren and Adam Schmick. The original, small store was located in downtown Denver. The two men specialized in welding, which at that time included anything from difficult welding jobs to receiving parts and machinery in need of repair from all over the Rocky Mountain Region. From time to time customers asked if they would stock oxygen and acetylene to aid them in their welding jobs. Recognizing this opportunity, United States Welding Works Company was formed in 1928 as a supply house for atmospheric gases and welding supplies.The company continued to grow prior to and during World War II. In 1947, the founders decided to retire and sold the company to the sons of Charles Lofgren - Robert Lofgren Sr. and Walter Lofgren.