Paul Kohlman became ill resulting in paralysis from the waist down. He was prescribed a popular, multi-cell, static air cushion for use in his wheelchair. After only a few weeks of using this cushion, the cushion failed and became completely deflated.

Unfortunately for Paul, because he had no feeling below the waist, he didn't know the cushion had gone flat.The resulting damage to Paul's skin was a Stage IV pressure sore in his ischial area. The sore required two flap surgeries to be repaired and several weeks in bed to allow for healing time. If the cushion would have had a low pressure warning device, Paul would have been alerted to the cushion being flat and most likely could have avoided the expensive surgery and associated restrictive sitting time needed to heal the sore.