The 20th International Congress and Exhibition of CARS 2006 (Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery) was successfully held at the Osaka International Convention Centre in Osaka, Japan with 855 congress registrants from 43 countries. The meeting was organised by Hironabu Nakamura MD, PhD (Professor of Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine) and Kiyonari Inamura, PhD (Professor of Kansai University of International Studies) under the auspices of the Japan Institutes of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery and the Science Council of Japan.
A broad spectrum of medical and technological disciplines was represented at CARS 2006 with tutorials, special presentations and scientific papers and posters covering topics on information technologies in radiology and surgery for clinical application fields, including:
• Medical Imaging, e.g. CT, MR, US, SPECT, PET, DR, Molecular Imaging, and Virtual Endoscopy
• Image Processing and Display
• Hospital-wide PACS and Telemedicine
• Computer Applications for e.g. Neurosurgery, Head and Neck, Orthopaedics, Ear Nose and Throat, etc.
• Image Guided Therapy
• Surgical Robotics and Instrumentation
• Surgical Navigation and Simulation