Ladd Research was organized in 1954 by Margaret and Bill Ladd to develop and supply products for the growing field of electron microscopy. In the 1930's, Margaret and Bill had worked on the first electron microscopy built in North America at the University of Toronto. At the start of World War II, they moved to the United States to continue their research. In 1954 Ladd Research Industries was formed.Margaret and Bill, the company continued under the guidance of John and Rita Arnott and many of the other Ladd employees. John had been instrumental in developing and establishing Ladd Medical (a division of Ladd Research Industries), which produced the ICP monitor. This device was a major breadthrough in the treatment of head injury.