General Summary/Overview Statement
Brigham Health Harbor Medical Associates is a large multispecialty Ambulatory Practice with multiple locations across the South Shore. The practice includes Primary Care both Internal Medicine and Family Practitioners, Endocrinology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, General and Vascular Surgery, and Pulmonary. In addition to professional practices, the group consists of additional ancillary services such as Laboratory, Radiology, Cardiac Testing services and several disease state management programs such as a Coumadin Clinic, as well as a CHF clinic. Located in Weymouth, MA.
Brigham Health Harbor Medical is looking for a dynamic leader to run high-functioning, customer-focused team to serve the South Shore. Each of our team members must embody a commitment to high quality patient care standards, a commitment to collaboration and teamwork, and a dedication to putting every patient first, every day.
The practice manager will be part of a well-established practice management team that function as a unit. In collaboration with the Division Chief, Director of Operations, and Professional Development Manager the Practice Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the practice, assuring that quality services are provided to patients in an environment that maximally fosters healing relationships between those patients and their health care team. The practice manager will directly oversee all support staff, and assume responsibility for all operational functions of assigned practices.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in the ongoing administration of assigned practices, including interviewing, hiring, training, and developing a diverse multidisciplinary staff.
- Works with the staff to build an effective team.
- Regularly evaluates and provides feedback to support staff and practitioners. In collaboration with the division chief, makes thoughtful and well-informed decisions concerning hiring, corrective action and personnel matters as appropriate. Reports on-going problems to the Director of Operations of the Brigham Health Harbor Medical Associates.
- Identifies training needs, and assists with training of staff and students. Ensures staff proficiency.
- Oversees all practice operations. Responsible for overall coordination of staff involved in clinical and administrative activities. Organizes and oversees work schedules for optimal utilization of staff to meet the patients’ needs. Develops and implements appropriate systems, policies and procedures to ensure efficient processing of work in conjunction with the Director of Operations and Professional Development Manager, to allow for consistency across Harbor Medical Locations.
- Participates in the continuous improvement of all processes.
- Works with the entire team to create a patient experience which is patient-centered, of uniform high quality, and safe. Monitors and improves customer satisfaction and patient activation. Interacts with patients in a courteous and sensitive manner. Resolves patient issues by working with staff, upper management and/or providers, followed by identifying and correcting underlying system problems.
- Facilitates a good working relationship between the patients, practice staff, the physicians, the community, system hospitals, and the Brigham and Women’s Physician Organization.
- Assists with the financial management of the practice including effective management of staffing levels, purchasing, cash collection, and encounter and billing processes. Reviews relevant clinic financial and productivity reports.
- Provides input on the operating budget and monitors income and expenses to ensure that budget compliance and established performance standards are met.
- Balance Epic batches which are created daily by practice assistants. Serves as primary liaison, working collaboratively with the providers to ensure all patient visits are accounted for, and keyed into the system in a timely manner to ensure maximization of revenue and the reduction and elimination of missing charges and lost revenue. Acts a liaison between patient and billing office when patients call with concerns. Ensures prompt closure of physician encounter/visits by running and reviewing encounter reports daily. Works collaboratively with appropriate finance personnel at BWH, BWPO to optimize revenue, ensure front-end and back-end coordination and resolve any issues. Oversees and evaluates office practices that impact timely billing.
- Implements relevant information systems, ensuring accuracy of data input. Provides input and feedback regarding improvements and changes to systems.
- Represents the department at various meetings and handles all administrative activities at the discretion of the Director of Operations of Brigham Health Harbor Medical Associates
- Responsible for ensuring the practice’s compliance with Hospital, Department of Public Health, and Joint Commission standards and policies.
- Continuously monitors the unit’s physical environment. Identifies problems and coordinates activities with support departments to maintain the physical integrity of the practice.
- Assist with cross coverage at other locations at the request of the Director of Operations.
- Participate with the development and implementation of staffing support for all locations.
- Plan and run monthly meetings for assigned departments.
- Supports in a collaborative fashion the implementation of short and long-term strategic plans to support existing and new clinical programs to be consistent with the overall vision of the Brigham Health Harbor Medical Associates.
- Summarizes for the Center’s stakeholders the overall progress of the clinics, and status of the clinics ongoing activities. Provides regular updates on quality, volume, and projects. Represents the Center as an active member in committees related to the Center.
- Participates in positive inter-departmental and inter-organizational relationships for improving patient care and supporting our team-based models.
- Triage patient complaints for the department, working with Patient Liaison, Director of Operations to leverage appropriate resources and resolving issues.
- Ensures all necessary supplies and equipment for the practice is available; maintains inventory. Works with Biomedical Engineering.
- Works collaboratively with the Practice Leadership, and Division Chiefs, and Biomedical Engineering to identify capital needs.
- Effectively and professionally collaborate with other departments within MGB when appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. MBA or MPH preferred, but not required. At least 5 years experience managing in a customer relationship based service industry required. Ambulatory health care experience preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated success in executing a high profile project under time pressure.
- Demonstrated success in building and participating in effective teams.
- A broad and thorough knowledge of: (a) physician practice management and resource utilization; (b) organizational and management theory and practice; (c) financial systems, budget management, reimbursement issues and regulations; (d) strategic planning and implementation; (e) information systems and (f) current health delivery systems issues, and (g) quality improvement processes, theory and practice.
- Understands the fundamentals of medical billing, collections, and referral management. Must understand physician and hospital based billing.
- Success in managing a multi-specialty practice.
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills across a broad range of constituents. Ability to lead and develop teams focused on patient satisfaction; proven track record in delivering outstanding customer service.
- Exceptional judgment and discretion in interacting with physicians and senior management on sensitive political and confidential issues.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and mentor staff.
- Ability to manage multiple complex and concurrent projects.
- Excellent organizational skills and complex problem-solving skills.
- Ability to create and implement action plans.
- Ability to work collaboratively with patients, staff and providers.
- Initiative and ability to work independently.
- Ability to prioritize work and multi-task.
- Must be Patient-centered and customer focused.
- Must be able to build effective teams, including harnessing the diversity of all members of the team and coordinating their ongoing professional development.
- Experience with LEAN or other forms of rapid cycle improvement is strongly preferred.
- Must have the ability to recognize and solve problems, including identifying and fixing their root causes.
- Must be able to handle, in a professional manner, a heavy and diverse workload in a dynamic healthcare environment, including dealing with multiple competing priorities.
MA-South Weymouth-BPO South Weymouth
BPO South Weymouth
Brigham & Women's Physicians Organization(BWPO)
BPO Harbor Medical Associates
Aug 15, 2022