On 9 October 2007 the Council adopted a decision establishing a second programme of action in the field of health. Ministers approved all amendments as proposed by the European Parliament in second reading.
The programme is established for the period from 1 January 2008 to 31 December 2013 on the basis of a budget of 321,5 million Euro. The objectives are:
• To improve citizens’ health security;
• To promote health, including the reduction of health inequalities,
• To generate and disseminate health information and knowledge.
To ensure full participation in the Programme by organisations which promote a health agenda in line with the programme objectives, a wider variety of financing mechanisms are offered.
• Cofinancing of projects intended to achieve a programme objective;
• Tendering actions to achieve a programme objective;
• Cofinancing of the operating costs of a non-governmental organisation or a specialised network;
• Joint financing of a public body or nongovernmental organisation by the Community and one or more Member States;
• Joint actions with other Community programmes, which will generate coherence between this instrument and other Community programmes.
The Health Programme 2008 - 2013 is intended to complement, support and add value to the policies of the Member States and contribute to increased solidarity and prosperity in the European Union by protecting and promoting human health and safety and by improving public health.