Team seeks to build hospital consortium with revolutionary analytics platform to further increase quality of care within Pediatric ICUs.
Solutions, a leading provider of data-driven quality improvement
solutions, along with the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) and
Medical/Surgical Intensive Care Unit (MSICU) at Boston Children's
Hospital, announced on March 5, 2013, the next version of its T3 platform. This
web-based, scalable, clinician designed computer application aggregates
physiologic information from many monitoring devices at the patient’s
bedside to create a single view of patient vitals and allow real-time
remote monitoring of each child in the CICU and MSICU.
“We’ve been working with Arcadia Solutions on the T3 platform for over
three years and continue to improve its functionality by including
features that will make this system highly invaluable within the ICU and
other care units,” said Dr. Melvin C. Almodovar, MD, Medical Director of
the CICU, Boston Children’s Hospital. “The T3 platform is critical as it
increases the quality of care by helping the care providers make
predictive, data-driven decisions, rather than prescriptive, intuitive
ones. It will also help capture, archive and analyze information to
create new critical care best practices and procedures in the future.”
“I have been a part of this project from the beginning and will continue
to work with Boston Children’s Hospital and Arcadia Solutions in my new
role. Our goal is to form a consortium of hospitals using T3 to
collaborate, coordinate and collect additional data across an entire
network of pediatric units to help predict outcomes based on that data.
While the platform has been fully functioning for many months we are
excited about deploying our first predictive algorithm to aid patient
stability assessment. In the ICU, stability is paramount,” said Peter
Laussen, MB.BS., FCICM, Chief, Department of Critical Care Medicine,
Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
T3 stands for "Tracking, Trajectory and Trigger" and brings together and streamlines the multiple flows of information that critical care doctors and nurses use to make life-saving decisions. T3:
- Tracks all information coming out of patients’ bedside monitors.
- Calculates trends in the data and displays a patient's real-time trajectory: are they getting better or has their condition stabilized, is their condition deteriorating, or are they responding to treatment strategies as expected?
- Triggers actions to avoid crises and makes the most efficient use of the resources available in the care units.
Arcadia Solutions and Boston Children’s Hospital have worked together to add the following functionality to further increase the quality of care within its ICUs:
- Stability Index Algorithm - a numeric index is generated that reflects the extent to which the patient’s physiologic measurements deviate from clinician chosen parameters. The index ranges from 0-4; higher index values indicate that a patient is in a more severe clinical state (less stable) while a lower index value indicates a less severe state (more stable). This will be used to provide an early warning to prevent adverse events.
- Data Visualization for Morbidity and Mortality Reviews - With full T3 user interface capabilities, hospitals can now access historical data through the user friendly and highly configurable interface that is currently used only for patients currently receiving treatment in the ICU.
- Software Development Kit (SDK) - To support the rapid development and deployment of algorithms that improve patient care, SDK allows algorithms to be seamlessly integrated into the T3 platform for hospital use.
- Historical Data Repository - To provide researchers access to all the historical data for large scale analysis, users will now have access to a data repository for patient population studies that evaluate the efficacy of surgical procedures and therapeutic care pathways in order to develop new quality improvement standards that reduce resource utilization while improving patient outcomes.
- Integration with Additional Demographic Information
- Integration with Intermittent (Aperiodic) Blood Pressure Data
“Within the ICU, doctors can have more than 10 devices at each bedside,
all recording vital information about how each patient is responding to
treatment. Given the information overload they face daily, we’re
extremely proud that they not only use T3 but see the value it
provides,” said Michael Gleeson, Senior Vice President of Product
Strategy, Arcadia Solutions. “We are excited to release a new version of
this tool as it provides a visual tool for clinicians within the ICU
that is equivalent to the tools meteorologists use to predict weather
patterns. With T3, the hospital can prevent deteriorations in the
patient’s condition by making the data transparent and easily analyzed
through advanced visualization.”
T3 is currently being used in nearly 60 beds across the Cardiac and Med-Surg ICU units at Boston Children’s Hospital.